Speeding resulted in careless driving summons
A MAN was “reckless” to pull a triple-axle trailer at more than 50km/h above the speed limit, Judge Andrew Cody said.
Kevin Patrick Igoe (29), Ballindrumlea, Castlerea, Co Roscommon, pleaded guilty at Tullamore District Court to careless driving on the N52 road at Ardan, Tullamore on August 27 last year.
Garda David Lewis told the court he was conducting a speed check on that date at that location where a 100km/h speed limit applies.
However, Garda Lewis said he detected a vehicle with a triple-axle trailer travelling at 132km/h and 80km/h was the speed limit for it.
The garda added that conditions were dry and the road was quiet at the time, with light traffic.
Furthermore, there was nothing being carried on the trailer and the driver had no previous convictions.
WATCH: Offaly student choir sings Ag Criost an Siol in Rome
Defending solicitor Patrick Martin said Mr Igoe was operating a small agri business at the time and was under extreme pressure and working very hard.
It was quite late when he was driving and he had since changed jobs to work as a salesman. Mr Martin said the driver apologised and asked the court to consider a donation to the poor box.
Judge Cody asked questioned why a donation to the court poor box would be made and asked: “Why shouldn't he be disqualified? It's completely reckless.”
Mr Martin assured the court it would not happen again, repeated that his client had no previous convictions and said the trailer was unladen.
Judge Cody convicted the man of careless driving and fined him €2,500. “He's lucky not to be disqualified,” said the judge.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.