As part of their summer safety campaign, gardaí have issued a series of warnings urging people to keep their homes secure, but they have now pointed out the things burglars look for before targeting a particular house.
A lot of the things on the list relate to signs of vacancy, and gardaí have said most burglaries take place at unoccupied houses for that reeason.
These are the things criminals look for at your house before breaking in:
• No lights on at night, or just ‘dead’ lights on (porch, hall)
• Lights on constantly during the day
• Blinds pulled down, or curtains across during the day
• A build-up of papers and/or flyers in the letter box
• A build-up of letters in the hall or porch visible from outside
• A build-up of milk on the door-step
• Front gates closed and no car in the driveway
• Notes left for delivery men or callers
• Uncut lawn and untidy garden.
Gardaí say that most burglars are opportunists and will select the easiest target that they can find. Don’t offer them assistance by:
• Leaving any window open. Some people do this for ventilation forgetting that burglars will take advantage of the smallest opening
• Leaving external doors unlocked
• Leaving a key on a string, under a doormat, or in some other ‘good hiding place’ outside
• Failing to secure side doors, allowing entry to the back of the premises, which is more vulnerable to attack
• Failing to keep garages and sheds locked. Not only do they contain valuable property, but also tools which may help the burglar gain access to your home
If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Offaly Express team via email to email@example.com, or through our Facebook.