Gardaí issue advice on how to stay safe on those Christmas nights out
Gardaí in Laois and Offaly are offering some advice and tips to people who want to Stay Safe On A Night Out during the Christmas party season.
• Tell someone where you are going, and when you expect to be home.
• Carry your mobile phone (charged!).
• Drinking - If one of the group has too much to drink - ensure that they
get home safely.
• If out with a group - watch out for one another. Safety in numbers. Plan your trip home, or arrange a
• Remember never drink and drive.
• If you’re the designated driver, park your car in a well lit area and don't leave property visible inside.
• If you see someone in trouble call 999 or the local Garda Station if less urgent.
• It is illegal to buy alcohol if you are under 18. Drinking can cause health problems in young people.
• Discuss drinking with your children. Be aware that they will see you as a role model.
• Try to set a good example with how you use alcohol. Everyone is responsible for safety, whether you are having a house
party, office party or other celebration.
• Be a good host, and serve alcohol responsibly.
• Don't serve alcohol to drunk people.
• Don't serve alcohol to people under 18 years.
• Have low and non-alcoholic drinks available. Provide food that is tasty and filling.
• Promote safe transport options for your guests, including calling taxis or have bus time tables available.
If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Offaly Express team via email to email@example.com, or through our Facebook.