€325,000 of antiques and paintings sold at Offaly auction
€325,000 has been spent at an auction at the prestigious 11 Oxmantown Mall in Birr where many of the contents of the house were sold to the public.
550 lots were presented by Fonsie Mealy Auctioneers with 85% being sold at the auction on Tuesday, March 5.
A host of items were sold including 18th-century furniture, famous paintings and photographs and a beautiful 19th-century urn. The most expensive of these was a rare 18th-century German marquetry table box, fetching €36,000 after opening with a guide of just €1,500.
PICTURED: This rare 18th-century German marquetry table box sold for €36,000
The second most expensive lot to change hands was a beautiful three-stone diamond ring by Lunns of Belfast. It sold for a staggering €20,0000.
Third on the list was a 19th-century Minton Majolica two-handled urn, a colourful piece that sold for €16,000. A Georgian period mahogany breakfast library was next on the list with a €8,500 final price tag. The fifth most expensive was a €7,000 mahogany four-poster bed.
The 25 most expensive items sold on the day were:
1. A rare 18th-century German marquetry table box €36,000
2. An exquisite three-stone diamond ring by Lunns of Belfast €20,000
3. A 19th-century Minton Majolica two-handled urn €16,000
4. An exceptionally fine Irish Georgian period mahogany breakfast library €8,500
5. A six-foot mahogany framed four-poster bed €7,000
6. A 19th-century carved mahogany four-poster bed €6,000
7. A photograph of the moon taken by Professor Henry Draper in 1863 €5,600
8. Pauline Berwick watercolour painting 'Otter, eel and woman' €5,200
9. An exquisite quality George IV rosewood breakfast table €4,000
10. A fine quality Irish mahogany regency serving table €4,000
11. An important suite of three Regency period French giltwood curtain pelmets €3,500
12. A fine quality 19th-century Italian white marble figure €3,400
13. 18th-century French giltwood mirror €3,400
14. A George K. Gillespie painting €3,200
15. An Ed, Gelli 19th-century painting €3,100
16. Early 18th Century Irish School “Portrait of John Conry of Shankill & Bettifield €3,000
17. An important George IV figured mahogany sideboard with brass gallery back €3,000
18. Garret Morphy painting €2,800
19. A 19th-century Nelson period extendable dining table €2,700
20. A very large cased salmon caught by David Baird in the 1930s €2,700
21. An early 18th-century Irish provincial oak side table €2,500
22. A good quality Irish mahogany Georgian period chest €2,400
23. A pair of fine 19th-century French Louis XVI style decorative ormolu and crystal wall light fittings €2,400
24. A good quality 18th-century Irish side serving table €2,200
25. A Frank McKelvey painting €2,200