Tullamore College win Leinster title in style

Tullamore College were outstanding when completely dominating Oatlands in the Leinster Senior Shield Final at Newbridge College.

Tullamore College were outstanding when completely dominating Oatlands in the Leinster Senior Shield Final at Newbridge College.

Conditions were ideal for open running rugby and Oatlands made a good start and had Tullamore pinned inside their 22 for the 1st ten minutes. The Tullamore defence proved to be up to the task and eventually through the powerful tackling and carrying of the Tullamore forwards, Byrne, Pyke and Martin, they lifted the siege after 10 minutes the worked their way out to the 10 metre line. They quickly moved the ball across the line to winger Jordan Conroy. He left several Oatland’s players in his wake to score a great try which was converted by Dean Cahill.

From the kick off Tullamore were soon back on the attack. Oatlands were penalised for going in the side and Dean Cahill duly kicked the penalty to make it 10-0. Tullamore now began to take complete control of the game and were very unlucky when Eoin Magner seemed to time his pass perfectly to put Jordan Conroy away for a second try however the referee called it back for a forward pass.

A few minutes later they made up for it after the forwards had mauled the ball up to the Oatland line, the ball was again moved quickly across the back line for Pauric Brazil to score. The conversion from the touchline just went wide.

The Tullamore pack were now totally on top and with Dylan Martin stealing the opposition line outs it was no surprise that they scored again before half time. Play was on the half way line when it was passed out to Pauric Brazil, he broke several tackles before touching down in the corner and Dean Cahill converted from the touchline to leave it 22-0 at half time.

In the second half it was all one way traffic and Tullamore soon got the score of the game. Following some lovely off loading among the forwards, Karl Dunne passed to Dean Cahill who looped with Eoin Magner and he then passed to Conor Hegarty in space to score a lovely try. Dean again converterd.

Oatlands were now pinned back on their own line and from an attempted clearance the ball went to Dean Cahill who touched down under the posts and he converted himself.

With 15 minutes to go Tullamore got one more try when Dean Cahill made a break and at the last minute he offloaded to Eoin Magner, who scored under the posts and Dean added the two points.

Tullamore emptied the bench during the second half giving all the subs game time. Apart from those already mentioned, David Jordan was outstanding at full back, Kealan Feery and Shane Minnock were very solid in the front row, Mathew Gorman and Darren Molloy worked hard in the second row and Dean Pierce was always in the thick of the action.