Students hospitalised after 'acid incident' at Midlands school

Reporter

Reporter:

Reporter

Email:

news@offalyexpress.ie

Students hospitalised after 'acid incident' at Midlands school

A small number of students were hospitalised after an incident involving acid in the science room at Heywood Community School in Laois.

Laois Fire and Rescue Service, gardaí and ambulance service attended the scene on Friday, February 15.

Principal Philip Bowe confirmed that a simple accident, involving the splashing of acid, caused injuries to the necks of a number of students.

First aid was administered by staff and, following policy, all emergency services and parents of those involved were contacted.

The students were discharged from hospital later that evening with minor injuries.