The man has died this evening in Tullamore
It has emerged this evening that a homeless man who had been basing himself in Tullamore has died. Ken Smollen, who is involved with the homeless through his 'Ken Smollen Food Appeal,' has reported the news on his Facebook page this Monday evening, February 20. The man, originally from Cork, was just 25-years-old and had been seen busking by locals in Tullamore until recently.
Named locally as Conor O'Hagan, the young man originally arrived in Offaly from Cork, and was "hospitalised recently due to the effects of sleeping outdoors and has passed away this evening," Smollen said. "May he rest in peace," Smollen said. The cause of his death is not yet known. Ken Smollen recalled his interaction with the young man in Tullamore:
"I only spoke to him once when I gave him a sleeping bag and some food. A number of people tried to help him on numerous occasions, and as far as I'm aware he has been in Tullamore for about 5 months," he told the Offaly Express.
"He could be seen regularly on the bridge over the river and beside the Bridge House or in other locations on William Street. The last time I saw him he was busking outside the AIB. I know that he was hospitalised about 2 months ago. I haven't personally seen him on the streets since that," Smollen added.
Local people have also been reacting to the news that broke on Monday evening:
"May he rest in peace. I did not know him or ever see him, but this is a sign of the times. We are going backwards. It is just so easy to become homeless," Justion Langtion said.
Helen van Lakum added: "Heartbreaking. R.I.P and condolences to his family. What has become of Ireland? It no longer seems like the Ireland I knew."
If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Offaly Express team via e-mail to email@example.com, or through our Facebook.