Edenderry history walking audio app set for launch

The app talks you through the town's history

Edenderry history walking audio app set for launch

Edenderry history walking audio app set for launch

Edenderry Historical Society, in conjunction with Edenderry Tidy Towns and Edenderry Lions Club will officially launch the new ‘Edenderry Audio Guide & Heritage Trail’ app on Friday, January 26 in Byrne's Oakwood Inn at 7pm.

This audio guide, which also includes new heritage plaques, has been designed to guide people through the history of Edenderry, learning about the major events in the town’s history.

Through fourteen audio tracks you can walk the trail and listen to the history of Edenderry. "Join us to celebrate the launch of this Audio Guide & Heritage Trail which brings the past to life," Edenderry Historical Society stated.

First mooted by Cllr Noel Cribbin and the Edenderry Tidy Towns in 2016, the concept developed over the past year or so with a committee comprising members of the Historical Society and the Tidy Towns who have developed the text for the audio app and, working closely with Abarta Heritage in bringing the product to completion.

"As chairman of Edenderry Tidy Towns, we are delighted to be associated and part of this trio of groups in Edenderry who have worked very closely together in putting together all the information for this app," Noel Cribbin remarked to the Offaly Express.

"Big thanks has to go to one of our own, lecturer Dr Ciaran O Reilly whose knowledge of Edenderry is bottomless, and to his members in the Edenderry Historical Society for their input into bringing the history of Edenderry onto an audio app," he added.

In May 2017, with the guidance of Ciarán Reilly, the Historical Society successfully applied for a Heritage Council Grant to cover 75% of the cost of the audio app and plaques, with the remaining 25% covered by the each of the three groups involved.

Speaking about the ‘Audio App and Heritage Trail’, Ciarán Reilly, who has written extensively about the history of Edenderry, commented that it is "an exciting development which will allow us to tell the story of Edenderry in an innovative way and to a wider audience, engaging in the latest technology available through mobile phones and other devices."

"It will be of particular interest to the schools, visitors and those of Edenderry ancestry scattered around the world," he added.

Concluding he remarked that it was "another reason to be proud of our history and to make sure it is handed on to the next generation and to people with an interest in Edenderry wherever they are."

For more information about the Heritage Trail and App visit the Historical Society’s website: www.edenderryhistory.blogspot.ie

On the Heritage Trail learn about the influence of the Methodist and Quaker communities had on the development of Edenderry; the role of the Downshire family; the famous sons and daughters of Edenderry who achieved great fame throughout the world; the story behind Blundell Castle and much more.

The following are the points of interest which are covered by the Audio App & Heritage Trail, which begins in the
market square:

Town Hall; Site of the former Methodist Chapel; Edenderry Train Station; Quaker Meeting House; Blundell House; JKL Street; Church Walk; Castro Petre Church of Ireland; Blundell Castle; Grand Canal Harbour; St Mary’s Catholic Church and

If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Offaly Express team via email to justin.kelly@iconicnews.ie, or through our Facebook.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.