Offaly County Council to write to Minister in support of Tullamore family facing deportation

Justin Kelly


Justin Kelly


Offaly County Council to write to Minister in support of Tullamore family facing deportation

Nonso pictured with TDs Brid Smith and Richard Boyd Barrett outside the Dáil recently

A Sinn Féin motion supporting the Moujeke family in Tullamore, who are facing deportation to Nigeria, has been passed at the June meeting of Offaly County Council.

The motion was put forward by Cllr. Martin O'Reilly at the meeting on Monday, June 18, as he spoke in favour of the "respectable and hard-working" Moujeke family. 

Nonso Moujeke (14) is a student at Tullamore College, while his brother is a student in the University of Limerick. Cllr. O'Reilly said the family have fully integrated into the town and have added to society whilst they've been here.

SEE ALSO: Minister makes statement regarding Offaly family facing deportation

The Muojeke family moved to Ireland after Mrs Moujeke's husband died in 2006 and she became the property of her brother in law, as is custom. She fled an abusive relationship with her two young sons. Nonso has been here since he was two years old.

Cllr. O'Reilly's motion read: "That this council calls on Minister Charles Flanagan to grant 'Leave to Remain' to the family of Mrs. Moujeke and her two young boys so that they are not deported from Ireland, which has now become their home." It was seconded by his party colleague Brendan Killeavy. 

Cllr. O'Reilly spoke of the campaign which has seen over 22,000 people sign a petition seeking action from Minister Flanagan to save them from deportation once a legal process of appeals has concluded. 

The motion was passed and outgoing Cathaoirleach stated to the meeting that a letter to the effect of the motion would be sent from Offaly County Council to the office of Charlie Flanagan. 


If you have a story for us, sports news, an event happening in your area, or if you want to submit pictures or videos, contact the Offaly Express team via email to, or through our Facebook.