Exit poll suggests hugely one-sided result in abortion referendum

Irish Times poll predicts a landslide

Justin Kelly

Reporter:

Justin Kelly

Email:

Justin.Kelly@offalyexpress.ie

Exit poll suggests hugely one-sided result in abortion referendum

An Irish Times exit poll suggests the country has voted with a resounding 'Yes' in the abortion referendum.

The newspaper commissioned the poll which gauged the votes of 4,000 people leaving polling stations at 160 different locations, encompassing all 26 counties. 

The results show that of those 4,000 people, 68% voted yes, with the remaining 32% voting no. 

The people of Offaly turned out in huge numbers today as the country decided whether or not to repeal the 8th Amendment to the Constitution.

Turnout in Offaly exceeded 60%, a trend replicated across the country. Cappincur in Offaly saw one of the largest turnouts5of anywhere in the country with over 70% of those eligible to vote making their way to the ballot box. 

Official counting begins early on Saturday morning with an overall result expected by late afternoon. 

The polls closed on Friday night at 10pm.

The country was being asked whether or not to repeal the 8th Amendment which, interpreted by the Supreme Court, means that it is lawful for a pregnancy to be terminated only where the pregnancy poses a real and substantial risk to the life of the mother. This includes a risk of suicide.

A 'Yes' vote to remove the 8th Amendment, giving equal rights to the mother and unborn, would pave the way for the Oireachtas to legislate for termination of pregnancy. A 'No' vote would leave the Constitution and the 8th Amendment unchanged.