Gardaí say they have no evidence to back up witness reports that shots were fired during a violent incident in Portlaoise this morning which left a house 'smashed up,' according to witnesses.
Gardaí attended the scene at O'Moore Place off the Mountmellick Road following an incident this morning, Wednesday, November 29.
Witnesses reported that an initial confrontation between a man and the occupants of the house was followed soon afterwards by a more violent incident. It is understood that the man returned with a number of other people armed with items to use as weapons.
The property, which is owned by Laois County Council, subsequently suffered extensive damage.
Local people told the Express that a man was witnessed emerging from the property during the incident with a weapon and shots were discharged. However, Gardaí said there was 'absolutely no evidence' of this so far.
The Express also understands that local people may be afraid to tell gardaí what they saw for fear of reprisals.
One local person added that there have been ongoing issues with the occupants of the house at the centre of the incident.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.