04 Dec 2021

Colaiste Íosagáin stunned as Clane catch them with late rally

Colaiste Íosagáin were stunned by a late comeback from Colaiste Mhuire Clane, as they let a seven point lead slip in Portarlington last Friday afternoon.

Colaiste Íosagáin were stunned by a late comeback from Colaiste Mhuire Clane, as they let a seven point lead slip in Portarlington last Friday afternoon.

The final whistle was met with utter devastation by the Íosagáin players, and no doubt it will be a game they look back on with regret.

For most of the first half it looked as though it was only a matter of how much they would win by, and indeed for much of the rest of the game the outcome seemed a formality.

Íosagáin for off to the perfect start, as Jake Foster pointed a free after he was fouled, before he added another two minutes later when Andy Watson picked the ball off the ground.

A seven minute gap passed before another score was registered, but it was worth the wait. A superb crossfield ball from Ryan Havill picked out Matthew Finlay, and he curled over a lovely point from the right wing, off the outside of his right boot.

A free from Finlay was quickly followed by two more points for the home side, as Colm Murphy added a brace, as Colaiste Íosagáin lead 0-6 to 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Clane had barely threatened in that time, but they finally showed some form late in the half. Paddy Woodgate opened thier account from a free, but Johnny Kelly quickly cancelled it out at the other end after playing a one-two with Matthew Finlay.

Clane then rattled off the last three points of the half to wipe out a lot of Colaiste Íosagáin’s good work. Woodgate added two points from frees, and Patrick O’Siucra chipped in with another, as Colaiste Íosgáin lead 0-7 to 0-4 at half time.

In truth, it was a disappointing lead for Colaiste Íosagaín for the amount of possession they had in the first half, but they quickly pushed ahead on the restart.

Jake Foster pointed after he was fouled yet again, and Colm Murphy added his third point of the game when he found the target at the end of a storming run.

Things got even better a minute later, as a strong run from Tony Kehoe down the right wing ended with him setting up David Howlin for a tap-in goal.

The Clane response was impressive, as Tadgh Montgomery found the back of the net after Ross McGrath had pulled off a great save. Less than a minute later, a high ball into the square from Sean Lynch was bundled over the line by Ethan O’Donoghue.

With goals flying in everywhere, Íosagáin added another two minutes later, as Colm Murphy and David Howlin combined, with Murphy applying the finish.

Jake Foster then added two more points midway through the half as Colaiste Íosagáin went seven points clear with 15 minutes left to play.

The game looked all but wrapped up at that stage, but Clane would stage a remarkable comeback. It started with a goal from Robbie Philips, and Paddy Woodgate quickly added a point from a poorly struck kickout.

Ciaran O’Flaherty and Ethan O’Donoghue pointed to get them within one, before a wonderful point from Montgomery levelled it.

And then, with time almost up, Brian McLoughlin hit the winner for Clane.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.