PAST, present and future came together at St Philomena’s school in Tullamore recently when the school celebrated the raising of the Green Flag.
Past pupils, former teachers, current pupils all joined together for the special occasion.
Among the attendance were members of the Sisters of Mercy who had the honour of raising the flag. These included Sr Mary Geraghty, Sr Cecilia Cadogan, Sr Annunciata Dillon (former Principal) and Sr Ita Deegan, who not only taught in the school but is also a past-pupil.
Mistress of Ceremonies on the day was Deputy Principal Margaret Allen who outlined the hard work and effort that went into achieving Green School status.
She thanked the Green School Committee, Green School co-ordinator Fionnuala Corrrigan and all the school staff, Tidy Towns Committee, the school’s Parents Association and the Offaly Environment Officer Fiona Dunne.
School Principal Carmel Rafferty spoke of the school’s long association with the Sisters of Mercy dating back to their arrival in Tullamore in 1836. The site on which St Philomena’s now stands is the site of one of the order’s earliest schools in the town. Following the formalities it was party time with refreshments including a beautiful cake specially made for the occasion by Glanmore Foods.
Entertainment included a disco for the pupils, ceili dancing in the school yard and plenty of treats and ice-cream.