Space - no matter how much we have it is never enough, but sometimes it is how we use the space that will make all the difference.
Ideal Standard have come up with some handy hints as well as practical solutions which allow consumers to get more out of their bathroom. So whether you need more floor space, clever storage or to include a shower in your en suite Ideal Standard’s Concept Space range will fit into even the tightest of spaces!
Ideal Standard has come up with ten top tips on how to maximise the space you do have in your bathroom, rather than focusing on the space you don’t have.
1. Large size tiles create a much more spacious feeling than small ones and allow the space to feel bigger than it is.
2. Doors take up a lot of space, if there is any way of building a sliding door it could make a huge difference to what can be achieved in a small bathroom. Alternatively you could have an open entry and eliminate any doors entirely. This would allow one room to flow into the next, although not ideal in all situations!
3. Lighter wall colours maximises the natural light coming into the room. If you can’t live without a strong colour then try introducing a colour splash with a towel or a patterned mirror to brighten the room up.
4. Don’t necessarily go for the biggest products you can squeeze in, remember that good space planning is also about providing space for people, maybe two at the same time!
5. An illusion of space can easily be achieved by exposing as much of the floor as is possible - think semi-pedestal basins, wall hung WC’s, and wall-mounted storage cabinets. The concept wall mounted WC suite, RRP €672.67, shows more of the floor and wall, and its cistern can be concealed behind a wall or in a fitted unit.
6. Size isn’t the only issue affecting bathrooms today – an awkwardly shaped space can also throw a spanner in the works when it comes to fitting out a new bathroom. Ideal Standard’s Concept Space range cleverly tackles this problem with products, such as the Concept arc countertop basin, from €185, that fit neatly into tricky corners.
7. There are lots of clever products on the market to help you make the most of a tiny bathroom. The Concept close coupled WC suite, from €620, for example, has a seat that can be angled 45 degrees to the left or right so that even if the toilet is right next to a wall, using it won’t be too much of a squeeze.
8. Integrated storage systems can be adapted to suit your bathroom perfectly, and they often include clever features to help keep clutter to a minimum – but don’t pack out the walls with cupboards. “If you are putting furniture into a small bathroom, try to avoid too much at a high level as this can reduce the ‘head space’ which if too small is claustrophobic” says Robin Levien, Ideal Standard’s International designer.
The Concept cube basin, from €207, can be seen in the image to the left. This basin and storage combo allows you to store all your shampoos etc out of the way, allowing more space for everything else!
9. Mirrors are great at giving an illusion of space, but they can take up space too, so choose a good design that incorporates a cabinet. The Concept mirrored wall unit, from €388, offers you a multi-functional and stylish piece of furniture, a perfect fit for any small bathroom.
10. De-clutter – The less is more approach is the best solution to making a space look bigger. Hidden storage helps to keep things out of sight while still at arm’s reach.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.