As temperatures begin to drop, OFTEC, which represents the domestic oil heating and cooking industry in Ireland, threw its weight behind Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness. They warned that many householders are still unaware of the risks of this potentially deadly substance when it comes to oil burning appliances.
David Blevings, Ireland Manager of OFTEC said, “Carbon monoxide is traditionally associated with gas appliances. We are concerned that the message isn’t getting through to householders using oil and other fuels. This is a particular worry when you consider there are almost half a million households using oil in the Republic of Ireland.”
“Feedback from our technicians would suggest that householders believe the risks only apply to gas. This is a key reason why this year’s campaign highlights that anyone who uses an appliance that burns any fossil fuel whether it is oil, coal, peat, wood or gas should take appropriate action.”
“We fully support the Carbon Monoxide Awareness campaign and the key message is that all fossil fuel burning appliances should be serviced annually. Consumers should always use an OFTEC Registered Technician as they have a flue gas analyser that can check your boiler’s emissions and can offer advice on heating controls and upgrades that will save you money.”
“At a time when household budgets are particularly hard pressed, the annual servicing of appliances will also improve their efficiency, offer potential cost savings on energy bills and will extend the life of the product – avoiding costly repairs/replacements,” added David.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness advice and information is available on: www.carbonmonoxide.ie.