Cahill kicks Tullamore to cup glory

What a brilliant end to the season in Donnybrook for Tullamore Rugby Club who won this final with a confident display in poor weather conditions.

What a brilliant end to the season in Donnybrook for Tullamore Rugby Club who won this final with a confident display in poor weather conditions.

In these conditions Dean Cahill took his penalty chances while Naas missed four kicks at goal in the first half. The Naas try was scored in injury time against a superb Tullamore defence where centres Peter Connolly, and Johnny Brophy with fullback Conor Hegarty were outstanding.

A nervous Tullamore had to endure a lot of pressure from Naas in the early stages of this match and they conceded a penalty after two minutes by breaking early from a scrum. Naas missed the kick as they also did with a drop goal attempt four minutes later.

There was another let off for Tullamore when Naas missed another kick for being offside. Following good attacking play by Tullamore they won a penalty and Dean Cahill opened the scoring after twelve minutes. Naas were looking dangerous and when they ran a ball wide after seventeen minutes only a foot in touch prevented a try. Following another missed kick by Naas, Leon Martin made a huge break and was well supported by the outstanding Gary Pyke.

That break and a try saving tackle by Peter Connolly seemed to lift Tullamore and they attacked for the remainder of the half with Dean kicking his second penalty just before the break for a 6-0 lead.

An early break by flying winger Tom McNamara who passed to his other winger Darren Birmingham eventually lead to another successful penalty from Dean for offside against Naas. When Tullamore had a player sin-binned the defense held firm and conceded nothing in that period. Tullamore made two substitutions bringing in Aonghus O’Donovan and Kevin Robbins to freshen things up.

When Tullamore were back to full strength Naas were forced to run ball from their own half and Dean Cahill intercepted a poor pass to stroll in for a try under the posts that he also converted. In fairness to Naas they never gave up and scored a late converted try that was deserved.

After the game the President of Leinster Rugby presented the medals to the squad and the Cup to captain Johnny Brophy. Every player played his part in this win against a good Naas team and the best team won .

Well done to coaches Pat Tierney, Denis Magner and Paul Cutler. The Managers were Gerry and Martina Cahill.

Team; 15.Conor Hegarty, 14.Darren Birmingham, 13.Peter Connolly, 12. Johnny Brophy (Capt), 11. Tom McNamara, 10, Dean Cahill, 9. Joe McDonald, 1.Cian Byrne, 2. Greg Walsh,3. Killian Rush, 4. Gary Pyke, 5. Gavin Ridgeway, 6. Leon Martin, 7. Senan Carroll, 8. Pietro Scarnicchio.

Replacements; Aonghus O’Donovan, Kevin Robbins, Darragh Coughlan, Jamie Hogan, Eoin Magner, Emmet Brewer, Killian Byrne, Jarlath Glynn, Jack Godley, Jordan Conroy.