Tullamore Harriers athlete Mark Milner set the track alight in Athlone IT on Sunday, January 20, during the invitational paced races at the Offaly Athletics Indoor Championships.
Mark was at the front of the 800m from the gun and when the pacemaker stepped off, Mark charged on and stepped up the pace. He crossed the line in a huge new PB of 1.50:7.
This run places him as the fastest European so far this year with Alex Boterhill of England half a second slower, the lead runner until Mark’s run.
James Dunne was also in the same race. He ran 1.53:5 in his first senior race. This was a PB by two seconds and shows that his dedicated training over the winter is paying off.
Ava O'Connor really ran well too in her 1500m. Having ran Cross Country the day before, she recovered quickly and led her race from start to finish. Her winning time of 4.37:9 was a two-second PB!
Tullamore Harriers Notes:
Offaly Athletics Indoor Championships
Katelyn Farrelly, Grainne Lalor and Daniel Dowling all took part in the 60m sprint invitational race. All three athletes, now in U17 age category for the 2019 season and also eligible for the junior category, held their own against a very strong group of experienced junior and senior athletes. Grainne finished in a positive 5th place with 8:19. Katelyn, just recovered from being ill for the previous eight days, still managed to get a good race finishing in 6th place with 8:29. Daniel, similar to the ladies, ran
a lightning fast 60m and finished in 5th place. A big step up for these three young athletes into the junior and senior ranks and the experience will no doubt help in their development. The coming weeks of preparation training for the Leinster championships will see all three of them improve their times for the upcoming indoor competitions.
Celtic Cross Country International
Congrats to three of our club athletes who raced on the Irish teams in the Celtic Cross Country Championships in the Billy Neill Centre of Excellence in Belfast on Saturday, January 19. Ava O’Connor, Ronan Hyland and Liam Brady wore the green vests in the Celtic Cross Country Championships. Ava competed in the Girls U17 race and is getting back into great shape after a
layoff before Christmas. Her 10th place finish helped her team to a set of Bronze team medals. In the corresponding U17 Boys race, Ronan Hyland donned the Irish singlet for the first time. The distance was 6000m so he had to fight all the way but should be proud of his 28th place finish and the Gold team medal he won. Liam was the first Irish team member home in the Senior men's race which had tough competition with athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia and Bahrain. Well done to you all. The club is very proud of you.
Tullamore Harriers AC member Philip King is among the award winners in the 2018 Westmeath Independent Sports Awards which takes place in the Shamrock Lodge Hotel, Athlone this Friday evening, January 25 at 7.30pm. Well done Philip.
Winter League Round 3
Well done to all who competed in the final round of the Winter League on Tuesday last, January 15. 72 athletes lined up for the 3k race. First man was Jay Donegan, with Leonard Mooney hot on his heels. Third man was Chris Whittle. First lady was Nadine Donegan, silver medalist in the Leinster Athletics Intermediate cross country championships two days earlier. Second lady was Pauline Curley and third was Tara McKinney. Full results below, overall league results will be calculated later.
1. Jason Donegan 9.46, 2. Leonard Mooney 9.48, 3. Chris Whittle 10.02,
4. Mark Donegan 10.04, 5. David Fox 10.21, 6. Nadine Donegan 10.31, 7. Darren Butler 10.39,
8. Darragh Rigney 10.42, 9. Pauline Curley 10.43, 10. Richie Galvin 10.52, 11. Jonathan Dunne 10.53,
12. Gary Whittle 11.06, 13. Leslie Buckley 11.08, 14. Alan Heffernan 11.11, 15. Dermot Smith 11.15,
16. Tomas Flaherty 11.19, 17. Ian O'Kelly 11.27, 18. Aidan G Egan 11.34, 19. Tara McKinney 11.38,
20. Peter Bennett 11.39, 21. Alan Mitchell 11.40, 22. Nita Mcloughlin 11.41, 23. Liam Byrne 11.43,
24. Ger Lynam 11.47, 25. Evelyn Herlihy 11.47, 26. Rob Maunsell 11.48, 27. Sean Reynolds 11.48,
28. Kenneth Doyle 11.56, 29. John O'Connell 11.58, 30. Lar Tierney 12.05, 31. Ray Martin 12.11,
32. Eugene Mann 12.14, 33. Dympna Fox 12.15, 34. Sean Spollen 12.22, 35. Elysia McCormack 12.24,
36. David Doyle 12.52, 37. Paul Shaw 12.58, 38. Mags Grennan 13.08, 39. Aoife Marron 13.11,
40. Mary Galvin 13.11, 41. Dave Dunican 13.12, 42. Emer Guilfoyle 13.29, 43. Francis Mollen 13.33,
44. Mary Hussey 13.37, 45. Finian McDermott 13.41, 46. Martina Conlon 13.45, 47. Joe White 13.49,
48. Karen Martin 13.50, 49. Leonard Owens 13.51, 50. Helena Buckley 13.58, 51. Olive Colgan 14.11,
52. John Ward 14.17, 53. Ann Marie McNamara 14.17, 54. Joe Wrafter 14.21, 55. Fallon Conlon 14.25,
56. Andy O'Grady 14.31, 57. Olivia Egan 14.31, 58. Tracey Stewart 14.39, 59. Anne Daly 14.45,
60. Paul Hensey 14.46, 61. Michael McConigley 15.01, 62. Sandra Busteed 15.19, 63. Josie Lalor 15.21,
64. Paschal Naughton 15.21, 65. Patricia Shaw 15.38, 66. Norman Maxwell 15.52, 67. Maeve Larkin
15.54, 68. Joanne Kelly 15.56, 69. Verona Smith 15.56, 70. Sharon Daly 16.07, 71. Dara Byrne 16.22,
72. Angela Martin 16.42, 73. Ann Marie Lawlor 17.15, 74. Melissa Hogan 21.56.
Collinstown 10k Road Race
Well done to Pauric Ennis who won the New Year 10k Road Challenge in Collinstown, Co. Westmeath on Sunday, January 13 in a time of 35.41. Darragh Rigney was 6th overall in 38.30, Gary Whittle (17th) 42.01 and Paul Shaw (36th) 46:38. Well done all.
Donadea Forest Park Half Marathon
Congrats too to David Murray who was the winner of the Half Marathon in Donadea Forest Park held on the same day, Sunday, January 13. David posted 1:17:38. Well done too to Finian McDermott who also competed and posted 1:46:34.
Why not join us in January and let us help you become fitter while taking on a super challenge. Couch25k started on January 7 and continues every Monday and Wednesday at 6.30pm. It’s not too late to join! You will have the support of Tullamore Harriers for the c25k 10 week programme.
Last year we had our first ever c25k and it was a huge success and most of all it was lots of fun. For more information, please contact Anna Hyland Guilfoyle, 086-8248928 or Leslie Buckley, 087-6130971. See also Tullamore Harriers Facebook page.
The Tullamore Harriers Book
The recently published Tullamore Harriers History Book is available to buy in: Ready2Run, Tyrrells Bakery, Dolan's Gala Shop, Tullamore Hardware, Cards & Things, Heatwise and Centra Fingerboard for only €20 for a great read on the History of Tullamore Harriers. The book is also available to buy in Offaly History bookshop or online, www.offalyhistory.com/shop.
Note also that Kevin Corrigan will speak on the Tullamore Harriers Book at the Offaly History Centre on Monday, January 28 at 8.30pm. Tullamore Harrier’s member Kevin is the author of the book, the story of the Tullamore Harriers Club, 1953-2018.
Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon 2019
Registration is now open for the 2019 Tullamore Harriers Quinlan Cup Half Marathon. The 7th annual event will take place on Saturday, August 31, 2019. Last year we sold out early and unfortunately many were disappointed they didn’t make the cut off of 1000 entries. Again this year we will cap the entries at 1000 so please register to secure your place. The relay race will go ahead again this year. The Leinster and Offaly Half Marathon Championships will be incorporated into this year's race. Every year we get huge positive feedback from participants and spectators alike who praise the friendly atmosphere and quality of the Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon. So sign up now. Full details on www.tullamoreharriers.com/about-the-race/
A list of AAI-licensed fixtures is available on www.athleticsireland.ie
Training for adults every Tuesday and Thursday at 6.30pm and Sunday at 8.00am except on race days. New members always welcome. Please contact Leslie Buckley 087-6130971 or Anna Hyland Guilfoyle 086-8248928 or any club member. Full details regarding Juvenile training on tullamoreharriers.com.
Please note that membership for 2019 is now due. Forms are available in the clubhouse or from the Tullamore Harriers website, www.tullamoreharriers.com/join
Access to Harriers Facilities
Please note that use of the club’s facilities, including the tarmac track, is restricted to members of the club.