Tullamore GC to launch club history

A GLARING omission in the story of Tullamore Golf Club, amongst the oldest in Ireland, will be rectified on Sunday, March 27 when a History of the Club will be launched at the clubhouse in Brookfield at 6 pm.

A GLARING omission in the story of Tullamore Golf Club, amongst the oldest in Ireland, will be rectified on Sunday, March 27 when a History of the Club will be launched at the clubhouse in Brookfield at 6 pm.

Two years ago a small committee set about the task of compiling a record of the club from its formation in 1896 when a 9-hole course was located at the racetrack of nearby Ballykilmurray.

Legend has it that the game has been played in the town from 1886 onwards. It is known that an earlier 9-hole course was at Tinnycross on the eastern outskirts of Tullamore in 1894/95.

A move to the Briscoe lands at Screggan had taken place by 1906 where it was based until 1926 when the Club relocated to its present home at Brookfield, part of the Charleville Estate.

Although women were members of the Club from the beginning, a Ladies Branch was not formed until 1912 and this centenary will be celebrated in 2012.

Tullamore was fortunate in having Founding Members, Officers and Committees of high calibre down through the years who continued to develop the Club to its present high standard. The Minute Books, which are available from 1915 onwards, are testament to the efforts of these Members.

The History chronicles the events of the Club over the years. Profiles of its most famous members, the late Kitty MacCann, British Open Champion in 1951, and Denis White, East of Ireland Champion in 1976, are included with accounts of many other successes over the years.

It is hoped that John Kelly, Professional at the Club from 1950 to 1994, will be among those attending what promises to be an entertaining evening. All former Members, and anyone else interested, are most welcome to attend.