The Irish Veteran & Vintage Car Club will celebrate its 50th anniversary next year. The club has over 650 members and 50 affiliated clubs across Ireland. Its first president was the late Knollys Stokes who was elected to office in 1964.
Activities planned to mark the 50th anniversary include the publication of a 170-page book recalling the people, cars and events that make up the club’s history. Compiled and edited by club member Anselm Aherne, it will be published next October supported by the sponsorship of Motor Distributors Limited.
Another event high on the club’s calendar for 2013 will be a Golden Jubilee Grand Tour of Ireland currently being planned, together with a special running of the annual Gordon Bennett Rally.
Affiliated to FIVA, the Paris-based Federation Internationale Des Vehicules Anciens, the club is part of a membership of 1.5 million spanning some 62 countries worldwide.
Amongst the most cherished vehicles preserved by IVVCC members is Ireland’s first motor car - a Benz Velo Comfortable imported here in 1898 by the legendary Dr. Colohan, then owner of what is now the Grand Hotel in Malahide.
Restored to its original condition by IVVCC member Denis Dowdall, the vehicle registered IK 52 is part of a collection of historic vehicles currently in the possession of Motor Distributors Limited.