WILLIAM Grant & Sons Ltd, the owner of Tullamore DEW Irish Whiskey, is to invest in a new, state of the art pot still whiskey and malt whiskey distillery in Tullamore, bringing whiskey production back to the town for the first time since the original distillery closed in 1954.
The €35 million investment will meet the long-term production demands for Tullamore DEW, the world’s second largest Irish whiskey brand, which is currently growing by over 15% annually and is central to the growth plans of William Grant & Sons which bought the brand in July 2010.
William Grant & Sons has agreed principal terms and is in the final stages of negotiating the purchase of a 58 acre site at Clonminch on the outskirts of Tullamore from Offaly County Council.
The location offers a plentiful supply of natural, quality spring water from the nearby Slieve Bloom mountains, ideal for the triple distillation process used in Tullamore DEW.
Work on the new distillery, which will utilise the latest in green technology is scheduled to begin later this year, subject to planning permission, and will support in the region of 100 construction jobs during the two-year building phase.
When combined with the new Tullamore DEW Visitor Centre, scheduled to open in September 2012, the total number employed by the firm in the town will rise to around 25. Tullamore DEW will continue to be bottled at its current facility in Clonmel, where it employs over 60 people.
Tullamore DEW is currently one of the fastest growing Irish whiskey brands, almost doubling worldwide sales to almost 700,000 cases since 2005. It is the largest selling Irish whiskey in many markets in Northern and Central Europe while in several countries, including Denmark, Czech Republic and Latvia it is the largest selling whisk(e)y of any type.
The plan for a new distillery has been prompted by the brand’s rapid growth, driven largely by increased consumer demand for Irish whiskey in the USA and emerging Irish whiskey markets.