O’Donohues Bakery, Tullamore is celebrating the news that five of their products have wowed judges in ‘Great Taste 2013’ by being awarded a gold star each in the world’s largest and most rigorous food awards scheme involving over 400 judges and thousands of hours of blind tasting.
Great Taste is simply about taste, not clever branding or smart packaging. Judges are presented with, for example, a piece of cheese, a pie or a little dish of chutney, with no wrappings, jars or marks. Then they taste, confer and re-taste before making the decision on whether a product is deemed worthy of 1, 2 or 3 star winner. In total more than 12 judges will have tasted and commented on each product. Those products fortunate enough to receive an award cannot only claim to be of the finest quality, but prove it too.
Fifth Generation bakers, O’Donohue’s was set up in Tullamore, Co Offaly in 1989 by Cathal and Frances O’Donohue with the aim of supplying hand crafted artisan breads to the midlands.
Tradition and Quality are two of the core values which are evidenced by their award winning breads.
Since 2006, the family run business has been winning Gold Stars in the prestigious Great Taste awards every year they participated. 2007 and 2011 were the only two years that they did not partake.
The 5 products that have recently won a gold star each are:
* O’Donohues Crusty White Loaf is proven and baked for longer to achieve its full flavour and crustiness.
* O’Donohues Batch Loaf: Fermentation is the key to achieving the flavour of this traditionally handcrafted Batch Loaf. It takes 8 hours to make from start to finish.
* O’Donohues Buttermilk Soda is traditionally handcrafted and made with 100% fresh Buttermilk. It is high in fibre, yeast free with No Added Sugar and No Preservatives.
* O’Donohues Low Gi Multiseed Bread is made with a combination of delicious seeds including sunflower, linseed, pumpkin seeds and oatmeal. Foods with a low Glyceamic Index such as this Low Gi Multiseed Bread, will digest slowly which helps make you feel fuller for longer.
* O’Donohues Premium Spelt Soda is a wheat free alternative to O’Donohues traditional Buttermilk Soda. Made with 100% fresh buttermilk and 100% Wholewheat Spelt Flour, it is Yeast Free with No Added Sugar.
O’Donohues currently supplies Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Cavan and parts of Kildare.
You can find their range of high quality breads in Dunnes stores, Tesco, Supervalu, Centra, Gala, Mace and your local independent retailer or go to www.odonohuesbakery.ie
Pictured are Louise and Cathal O’Donohue.