WORK on a new canal project which will see three pedestrian bridges built in Tullamore will commence this year.
Town Engineer Paul Devaney told members of Tullamore Town Council at their monthly meeting that the project will commence on October 7 this year and will be complete in the second quarter of 2012.
Works will include the removal of the pedestrian footbridge at Convent road, the construction of three pedestrian bridges and a board walk.
The bridges will be located at Lanello, alongside the existing Kilbeggan Bridge and one at Convent View.
The project went out on public display and no submissions were received.
Cllr Sean O’Brien said it was great news to be able to construct three bridges, which would be nice and modern looking. “It’s a fantastic project.”
Cllr Sinead Dooley said it would improve the whole area but was surprised there were no submissions.
She said she would have welcomed people’s opinions and would like to think they would get feedback.
She also welcomed funding for a pedestrian crossing at St Philomena’s school on Convent road. She said she was looking forward to seeing the development complete.
Cllr Brendan Killeavy asked if the pedestrian crossing could be complete before the children return to school in September.
Town Clerk Ruth McNally explained funding for the pedestrian crossing is completely separate and would be carried out as a separate project.
Mr Devaney pointed out he didn’t have a timescale yet for works on the pedestrian crossing but said a survey had been carried out on Wednesday of where people were crossing the road and the traffic count.
Cllr Molly Buckley paid tribute to Mr Devaney, Charlie McCarthy and all involved on the refurbishment of Cox’s Bridge.